Archive for July, 2011

What’s that new look?

It’s a tunic I’ve made using New Look’s 6803 version ‘D’! It took me a couple of weekends to finish it, including the always time consuming setting up the pattern pieces and cutting fabrics. I always end up being surprised by the amount of time I spend doing this.

Since I wanted to ‘test’ this pattern, I used an inexpensive poly fabric I had in my stash that I got at Fabricland Toronto, and some floral print cotton for contrast that I bought at JoAnn in Buffalo, NY. I used the contrast fabric for the pointed placket, the sleeve edges and the hidden pockets. Loved how it matched the main fabric and I have actually worn it a couple of times, when the weather was not too hot in Toronto -we have a scorching heat of 35º Celsius these days!

I now have another fabric I am saving to make another tunic, which is a jersey knit, therefore, it will have its own challenges when I get to sew it, but it should be a good chance to try my hand at working with that type of fabric in a garment (Note to self: remember to get the appropriate needle for my sewing machine!).

I definitely learned a few things about making a garment, a thing I find pretty difficult, especially when it comes to fitting.

Pattern cut and laid out on main fabric

Detail of the pointed slit placket

New Look 6803

New look by the Toronto beach

Pocket in contrast cotton fabric

Advertisements

Leave a comment »